Nilaveli is a coastal resort town and suburb of the Trincomalee District, Sri Lanka located 14 km north of the city of Trincomalee.
Access to Pigeon Island Corrals is through this beach. Pigeon Island National Park, one of the two marine national parks of the region is situated 1km off the coast of Nilaveli, its many species of vegetation, coral and reef fish contributing to Nilaveli’s rich biodiversity.
Marble Beach, also known as Marble Bay Beach is situated at the Marble Bay that comes within the Trincomalee’s natural harbor area.
Lying inside the Koddiar Bay (Trincomalee Bay) is a good beach for peaceful bath. When the day is bright and the sea is calm, you can see the surface shining like a marble and that’s how the name is derived.
The famous Kanniya Hot Springs of Trincomalee are indeed what they are, a natural series of hot baths that have been opened for the public at an old historical site dating back to the age of Ravana, as is said, to almost five thousand years ago to the Vedic period.
There are seven wells in a square shape. Wells are only 3–4 feet deep and you can clearly see the bottom. The temperature is considerably high but vary slightly from one spring to another. The old ruins of the monastery and a Stupa mound belonging to the early Anuradhapura period and an inscription of 1-2 centuries A.D. were found from the archaeological excavations.
The city of Trincomalee, rewarded for the 3rd largest natural harbor in the world was truly a legend since from the past. Located in the heart of the Indian Ocean, its strategic importance has shaped its history. There have been many sea battles to control the harbour.
The harbour, one of the largest natural harbours in the world, is overlooked by terraced highlands, and its entrance is guarded by two headlands. The bay includes the first of a number submarine canyons, making Trincomalee one of the finest deep-sea harbours in the world. The harbour has 1630 hectares of water, while the entrance channel is 500 metres wide.
Pigeon Island National Park is one of the two marine national parks of Sri Lanka. The national park is situated 1 km off the coast of Nilaveli. The island’s name derives from the rock pigeon which has colonized it.
The national park contains some of the best remaining coral reefs of Sri Lanka. Pigeon Island was designated as a sanctuary in 1963. In 2003 it was redesignated as a national park. This national park is the 17th in Sri Lanka. The island was used as a shooting range during the colonial era. Pigeon Island is one of the several protected areas affected by the Indian Ocean tsunami in 2004.
If you only visit one sight in Trincomalee, make it the colourful Koneswaram temple. Koneswaram temple of Trincomalee or Thirukonamalai Konesar Temple – The Temple of the Thousand Pillars and Dakshina-Then Kailasam is a classical-medieval Hindu temple complex in Trincomalee, a Hindu religious pilgrimage centre in Eastern Province, Sri Lanka.
The most sacred of the Pancha Ishwarams of Sri Lanka, it was built significantly during the reign of the early Cholas and the Five Dravidians of the Early Pandyan Kingdom atop Konesar Malai, a promontory overlooking Trincomalee District, Gokarna bay and the Indian Ocean.
A true story attested by an inscription on a pillar on Swami Rock, it follows Francina van Reed, the daughter of a gentleman of rank in the civil service of Holland. She was engaged to a young Dutch officer who broke off the engagement upon the end of his foreign service and returned to Holland.
Forsaken and distraught, she watched atop Swami Rock as the vessel carrying her faithless lover passed beyond the horizon. Overcome by sorrow, she flung herself from the rock into the violent sea below – a sheer drop of 400 feet. A pillar set up on the promontory records the fateful date of the tragedy that has since propelled the location to notoriety – 24 April, 1687.
Fort Fredrick, also known as Trincomalee Fort or Fort of Triquillimale, is a fort built by the Portuguese at Trincomalee, Eastern Province, Sri Lanka, completed in 1624 CE, built on Swami Rock-Konamamalai from the debris of the world-famous ancient Hindu Koneswaram temple.
The fort was captured by a Dutch fleet under Admiral Westerwold in 1639. Not until 1665 was a new fort built here by the Dutch defend against the advancements of the British and the French.
Hotline : +94 777 204 519
Telephone : +94 262 232 466
: +44 793 206 3398